Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mizzou Links, 6-26-07

How in the world is it already June 26???

  • Ben Askren has been nominated for the "Best Male College Athlete" ESPY. I've never even once watched the ESPYs, and there's no way in hell he beats out Oden, Durant, or Troy Smith (not if fans are voting online), but that's pretty awesome if you ask me. Vote here.
  • Not surprisingly, Chase Daniel has made the Maxwell Award Watch List. He and half the QB's in Division 1.
  • Dave Matter peers a little further into Big XII nonconference schedules.
  • In case you were wondering (and I'm sure you were), Martin Rucker is faster than Chase Coffman.
  • Bill Simmons takes a day off from calling the Blazers chickens to write an epically (yes, I just made that word up) good and for-the-hell-of-it NHL Draft Diary. My favorite entry: "5:54: Bettman announces another trade: Anaheim deals the No. 16 to Minnesota for the No. 19 and No. 42. Also, he announces new corporate sponsorships for the NHL with Enron, Betamax, CMGI, Conseco, Free FM, Pan Am Airlines and ESPN Mobile."
  • I took yesterday off as a sort of "high school reunion recovery day", and can I just say...Wimbledon looks amazing in HD. Now if only the US had more than 2 good tennis players...
  • And finally, I feel weird mentioning pro wrestling here, but I should note that a decade ago, when I was entering college at Mizzou, I bonded with some dormmates by watching WCW Nitro each week...we even ordered some Pay-Per-Views and attended a Nitro in Kansas City. It was fun. I haven't watched a wrestling event in probably 7 years, but the one wrestler who still stands out in my memory is Chris Benoit. He was amazing. He wrestled like it was real. He lacked the Hogan-esque charisma, but he was just so technically sound and dedicated to his craft that he enjoyed top-notch success in WCW, ECW, and WWF/WWE. He was great to watch, but it's sounding like he succumbed to the same thing that so many other pro wrestlers and former pro wrestlers have. The more you injure yourself to further your career, and the more pain-killers you end up having to take to get through the day, the less you find yourself relating to reality, and eventually you revolt against it. My condolences to his family.