Monday, August 13, 2007

The Insanity of Woody Austin

Watching the PGA Championship yesterday to avoid the heat (first time in my life I have turned down baseball tickets). I knew Tiger had gone REAL low on Friday, and I arrived home and turned it on literally as he lined up the putt on 18 that rimmed out for the 63. Saturday I did not follow it, but knew he was up 3 going into Sunday....game over I figured. And while I was right, it was not as foregone as normal maybe, as a few times people made quick runs before either imploding on a hole or Tiger getting it done. One of those people was Woody Austin. Commended in a pre-round interview for his honesty, I enjoyed watching Woody make his run, getting the crowd into it. I also noticed he missed a couple of early chances. And perhaps it is because he grew up in kansas (sorry...could not resist). Perhaps it is for other reasons...but Woody got on the podium on Sunday as the runner-up and said one of the dumbest things I have ever heard....


Q. Ernie Els was in here a few minutes ago talking about how it's time for somebody to start making a run at Tiger; would you agree with that?
WOODY AUSTIN: Well, yeah, obviously, like I said, how could someone in my position make you understand or get to you grasp when all you do is "he's unbeatable." If he's on his game, he's unbeatable. Well, you said in the media, especially on Friday, that he played just an unbelievable round of golf and that he was in total control and that he was just toying with the field. We can go through our rounds. I outplayed him on Friday, but he beat me by seven shots. So, does that mean he -- does that mean he's that much better? I don't get it. It just happens that he scored better, and like I said on Friday, can you not throw away that many opportunities when you are trying to win a big golf tournament. He took advantage; I didn't. Does that mean he played better than me or he's better than me? I don't agree with that.

I'm sorry...maybe I was not clear the first time in cutting and pasting that....here it is again...

I outplayed him on Friday, but he beat me by seven shots.

He took advantage; I didn't. Does that mean he played better than me or he's better than me? I don't agree with that.

Now I admit I am not good at golf...never have been. Only once broke 50 on a back nine. I really just told my father to GIVE my golf clubs away. But I watch a good amount, especially any major, ESPECIALLY any major with Tiger. But I still cannot figure out these lines (or the entire thought for that matter) for the life of me. How do you outplay someone in golf and "lose" by SEVEN shots? How does someone take advantage of the opportunities THEY created, while the other does not and someone not agree that the one who took advantage played better?

Now Tiger has done the typical Tiger thing and taken the high road from the little I have read and said he was excited to have Woody on the President's Cup team, that he liked his fire and passion (or something like that) But really Woody? Quirky is one thing....straight-up ridiculous is another thing entirely.