Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mizzou Links, 6-14-07

Earlier in the week, I mentioned that it was going to be harder to produce actual Mizzou-related links on a daily basis, but recruiting seems to have bailed me out every day this week...not too shabby...

  • Mizzou Basketball has its first commitment for 2008...and he's a Truman Patriot?? I had some friends that went there...I was under the impression that they didn't actually produce athletes...just debaters and substitute teachers. Anyway, let Gabe tell you all about it...and then, let Gabe's dad tell you about Isaac Miles' visit to Columbia...
  • Meanwhile, football has its first 2009 commit, a mere 19 months before Signing Day.
  • And then in non-Mizzou related links...my favorite golf tournament of the year begins today! Nothing makes me happier than watching highly-paid professionals struggle horribly...I realize the winning score probably won't be +5 like last year, but still...love it. Being a lefty myself, Mickelson's been my favorite golfer for a decade (knowing my history of picking favorites, it figures...though he has won 3 majors now...you just wouldn't know from hearing the coverage of him...Winged Foot Winged Foot Winged Foot Winged Foot), but I can't imagine he's able to compete well this weekend with his arm injury...the rough at the US Open is so thick that it seems like you could break your wrist swinging through it anyway...
  • And finally, Bill Simmons says it's time to fix the NBA playoffs. While I agree with him that the offseason seems to be more exciting than the playoffs (my favorite NBA moment is the lottery, followed by #2, the draft), I'm hesitant to blow up the whole Western/Eastern conference thing. Yes, the West has been better every year since Jordan retired (the second time), but that's not geography's fault. I dunno...having read tons about the Blazers for 15 years now, I understand how much their fans dislike the Jazz, Sonics, and Lakers--that's 30% because of geography and 70% because of previous playoff series...which is indirectly about geography. Plus, seeing the reaction from Portland and Seattle fans about the potential for Oden/Durant playoff matchups (at least until the Sonics move to OKC...or KC...or Vegas) was impressive...and it was mostly because of geography.

    Then again, Big XII teams don't start off the NCAA Tournament by playing each other, so maybe Portland playing New Jersey in the playoffs instead of Utah wouldn't be that big a deal...maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. Like most arguments (just wait until you see what I have to say about the College Football Playoff idea), I talk a big game, but if the change is made I won't cry one bit.