Greetings from the Twin Cities...a quick summary of tonight's match: Mizzou learned how to close out tight games and started off the 2007 home season with a sweep of Notre Dame in front of 1,300. Game One saw Mizzou turn a 26-22 lead into a 29-29 tie, then win two points (and the game) on kills by backups Amanda Hantouli and Lindsay Smith (their only kills of the match). Game two was back-and-forth all the way to 20-20 before Mizzou distanced itself with a 5-1 run, then cruise to a 30-25 win. Na Yang had six kills down the stretch. Mizzou seized Game Three early, going up 12-4 and coasting, 30-23.
A quick look at the box score
- Na Yang was insane, knocking down 22 kills in 42 attempts, with only ONE error, a kill % of .500.
- Julianna Klein had another double-double--quite impressive in a 3-game sweep--with 13 kills (.306 kill %) and 11 digs.
- Tatum Ailes had 20 digs...a pretty sickening number for a 3-game sweep.
- The two teams combined for only 15 total blocks, which suggests there was some free swinging going on. Mizzou's .276 kill % was impressive considering Notre Dame's a decent team.
- Amanda Hantouli struggled again, with 1 kill and 2 errors in only 8 attempts (-.125 kill %). Luckily, her one kill set up a game point in Game One.
- The freshmen had mixed results today. Catie Wilson had 3 kills in 7 attempts (.429). Weiwen Wang had 8 kills, but only a .156 kill %. Caitlyn Vann had only 6 digs and 1 assist.